• Judy B.

September 9, 2016 at 8:05 am

We always want to reapect our dogs and not necessarily do anything to prevoke behavior when its just not necessary. When she is in the down position is it when and because she is given a commamd to go down, or is it when she is just laying around. Are the hands going near her to pet her and give her affection or is it for a specific task that needs to be done like trying to put a collar or a leash on or anything of the sorts? Because if you need to be doing sonething to her forbhwr own good we can work on that, If she is just laying around and there is no actual need that is for her own good for hands to be near her, I would just leave her be. We want to enjoy our dogs of course, we love our dogs but we want to provide for their needs mostly and not ours. I know when I am just trying to relax and someone comes near me at times it can be very frustrating especially when i just want to be left alone. We have to remember that dogs need the same respct in that way too. If we are following leadersip with our dogs and they are laying down and we would like to give affection it is best to call them over to you and give it to them instead. Then give them all the live you want. Just make it on your terms always and instead of going towards the dog, have the dog come towards you. If the dog wants affection if will come, if it doesnt then it doesnt get affection whenever she wants. If they are entitled to all their resources they dont become as valuable to them. If we know what they need, and provide them with everything including our affection they will we more inclined to come over to us when we do call them over. Practicing leadership is more important than people realize and the side effects of entitlement to resources is often overlooked and mis noted as other issues. When sometimes the things are simpler then we make them out to be. Im sure Mike will add to and respond to your latest posts. No matter what the underlying issue is, fear, or she just doesnt want to be bothered, like Mike said, everything has a simmilar path. The right leadership is definitely the best place to start.

The other trainer jerking the leash and making her cry is also an important piece of information. Although the trainer may not have had ill intentions at all, things like that can have side effects. That is why we try to do things as respecfully as possible and in a certain order so the dog learns. This way we can be less forcefull and in fact not forcefull at all. If a dog is getting corrected and is confused it can just make things worse.

Sorry for the ramble, but if you get on track with everything noted above in Mikes post to you in think you will even see improvement from that alone.