• Michael D'Abruzzo

Administrator
    August 16, 2016 at 9:39 am

I agree with Sharon, you are doing a great job.  Did you read through the “leadership” section and “anxiety” section of the self-help yet?  If you haven’t I would start at the beginning and read through.   I will be adding to those sections within the next couple of months too.  It may not be clear in the self-help section, but it generally is best to be control of all food items the same way as how you would manage a dog and a child.  So just lik eyou dont let the child and dog figure out who is allowed to steal from whom, it is best to manage the same way with two dogs.  It is always best to just not allow them to steal from each other. It can be done with just separating them at first while eating or chewing a treat, then it can be done with the help of obedience as you teach more.  Since all dogs have different temperaments this is the best way to ensure that all dogs get to eat and have treats without getting bullied or feel that they must defend their things.  You basically take the role of leader/parent/alpha.  It is all the same with dogs/wolves/humans… Best family unit is managed and the peace kept by a good leader who micromanages potential areas of conflict.  The crying in the crate is natural since dogs generally do not like isolation from family and some don’t like being in crates in general, so it may be a bit of a process for this, but let me know if you read through the self help section first.  Good luck!