• Judy B.

May 2, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Hi Caroline. All training tools can be used both correctly and incorrectly. They all have potential to be abused or used in the right intended manor. If you have been using this the correct way and know its appropriate and intended use, and you are using it in this manor and not causing harm, then I think it is user preference. It is each individuals choice what training tools they choose to use as long as they are being used the right…
    However…
    Yes, we generally do prefer a starmark or prong style collar for obedience training. When used correctly there is less room for user error or trachea damage when using the prong collar. The prong creates evenly distributed pressure around the neck causing less localized impact in the frontal area of the neck. There is often unintentional trachea damage that can occur with the use of a choker collar where as a prong collar can be a much safer tool as it less likely to cause injury. With the prong collar I also feel you have more control over the type of correction you can give and can be just as effective with a much milder correction.
    I personally prefer the starmark/prong style collars and feel when they are used appropriately they are a great training tool.
    Hope that helps answer your question 🙂