Dog Training World Forums General Dog Training Discussion Miscellaneous Possible: calmness amidst provocation? Reply To: Possible: calmness amidst provocation?

• Dave Page

November 14, 2021 at 12:16 pm

I do realize much will depend on breed and temperament of the dog. Most of mine usually have the attitude, leave me alone I leave you alone.

I spent hours sitting in parking lots, rewarding the right behaviors for them to learn not everything is a threat, and sit peacefully while people pull in, get out of their vehicle right next to us, only to have it undone in 15 minutes, or so while I’m in a store. One of mine likes to rest his head, on the door panel next to the window, and I have seen people notice him there when they are getting in their vehicle, and bark at him thinking it funny when he comes alive, or comment dog’s vicious because it reacted. I’ve had to intervene, and try to educate many times. Personally I feel it is tantamount to teasing, and considering whether it would even be ethical to condition a guardian type breed to not react in such an instance, as it goes against nature.

Trying to figure out if there is a way to condition, that wouldn’t be so time consuming, or something that could be done in early life so a dog wouldn’t be so hypervigilant and overly reactive, for the next week or so afterwards. Usually after an incident they will start seeing anyone even getting near as a threat, and overreact.