Dog Training World Forums Community Conduct Member's Create Our Code of Conduct Here Reply To: Member's Create Our Code of Conduct Here

• Arthur Lopatin

April 11, 2021 at 2:27 pm

This is based on reading IACP vs CFDT codes. I gotta think about the 10 rules some more.

IACP Code vs APDT Code

IACP is poorly written and vague. APDT is well written but maybe too long. The APDT code is, IMO, much better than IACP’s. I think that w/some tweaking to make it FSDT-specific, it might be a good model.

I think FSDT code should be as well written as APDT’s but maybe briefer and perhaps more specific re LIMA

Questions re: the APDT doc:

Principle 3.5 Trainers/behavior consultants refrain from providing guarantees regarding the specific outcome of training and behavior plans.

Me: On the one hand, guarantees are a bad idea, but on the other, aren’t clients entitled to a clear plan: how long? How much? Chances of success? Etc etc. You don’t want to defraud by making false claims, but clients are entitled to an accurate estimate.

3.9 Trainers/behavior consultants do not advise on problems outside the recognized professional education and certifications, and do not provide advice or recommendations in areas of veterinary medicine or family counseling unless licensed and qualified to do so.

Me: This is potentially a grey area. When you work with people and their dogs, you are, ipso facto, involved in a personal relationship w/both the people and their dogs. It’s relevant to doing right by both. For sure, you shouldn’t be giving clinical advice, but you do need to be sensitive to peoples’ situations and there’s a grey area between being a clinician and speaking honestly, politely, candidly about, for example, Attitude. For example, the appropriate thing to do w/someone who can’t control their anger toward their dog (or their spouse) when they are training w/you – after you have explained the importance of Attitude – is to suggest they seek professional help.

Bottom Line: IMO, ‘professionalism’ can be a loaded, vague term and become an excuse for not calling attention – politely, appropriately – to things that impinge on your being a good LIMA trainer.

4.1 Trainers/behavior consultants are respectful of colleagues and other professionals and do not condemn the character of their professional acts, nor engage in public commentary, including commentary in public presentations, written media or on websites, internet discussion lists or social media, that is disrespectful, derisive or inflammatory. This includes cyberbullying, that is, the use of electronic media for deliberate, repeated and hostile behavior against colleagues.

Me: True. But at the same time, constructive criticism, is healthy, preferably w/o naming names but naming them if it’s relevant. Esp if u are calling out outrageous, callous, dishonest stuff. Wouldn’t it be great if there were a confidential, nonthreatening venue for ‘balanced’ trainers to engage in shop talk and mutual criticism? If such a venue exists, I don’t know about it.

Re: the non discrimination part in both IACP & APDT, some questions:

What about – for example – refusing someone who tells you he supports Al Qaeda? Has a swastika tatoo? Etc etc etc. Would I be violating the IACP or APDT code of ethics by refusing them as a client and they filed a complaint against me??

What about telling someone handicapped that, with apologies — I don’t have the facilities to help someone in your particular situation.

In short I think this has to be very carefully worded to penalize/terminate blatant discrimination but w/o going overboard.

MY BOTTOM LINE: THE MOST QUESTIONABLE ASPECT OF THE APDT CODE IS RE: LIMA. IS IT JUST ME, OR DO I GET THE FEELING THAT THEY HAVEN’T QUITE FIGURED OUR HOW TO DEFINE IT CAREFULLY WITHOUT LOSING MEMBERS AND/OR IGNITING A CIVIL WAR. I DON’T OBSERVE THE PRO-DOG TRAINING FIELD ALL THAT CLOSELY, BUT I THINK THIS IS A KEY AREA WHERE FSDT IS UNIQUELY REALISTIC AND SCIENTIFICALLY INFORMED. STATING LIMA CAREFULLY AND BREAKING DOWN WHAT IS AND IS NOT LIMA, ESP RE THE USE OF PUNISHMENT/CORRECTION NEEDS TO BE LAID OUT CLEARLY, IMO

A Few Suggestions for FSDT Code of Conduct

Brief, to-the-pt description of CFDT. What it is, what makes it unique, even within the ‘balanced training community.’ And/or reference to something like the Become a Member Today page [ https://dogtraining.world/part2/?mepr-unauth-page=20796&redirect_to=%2Flive-classroom%2F with special focus on the triangle/lima….

Procedure for members of the public/customers and CFDT trnrs to register complaints

Who will decide if complaints are valid?

Who will adjudicate complaints

Procedure for deciding if a complaint is valid.

Procedure for adjudicating complaints

Categorization of complaints by severity, and their associated penalties

In other words different penalties for financial malfeasance vs endangering dogs and members of the public vs outright cruelty vs badmouthing another trainer vs bad behavior toward client/member of the public