Dog Training World Forums Behavior Problems Bad Manners My Daily Greeting Reply To: My Daily Greeting

• Taylor Bagwell

September 3, 2020 at 7:15 pm

Hey, Art,

He’s about a year old, give or take a few months. I got him from the shelter a little over 3 months ago. He’s crated for about 5.5 hours in the morning and 4.5 hours in the afternoon. I take him out to pee shortly before he goes into the crate. He is on a regular feeding schedule, but I don’t know about drinking. I just try to keep some clean water in his bowl. And it is just the two of us. His crate is that small because that’s the largest that I could find at the time. And he doesn’t have a blanket or pad because each time I get him one he chews it up and tries to eat it. I have worked on sit and down with him. He’s better at sit as we’ve just started down. I think his phase 1 sit is pretty good, except for duration and he doesn’t quite get what “free” means yet. I am just starting a habitation chart. Right now I think my goals with him is to just have a better relationship with him. I can take him out almost immediately, but I do have to put my stuff down first. Once the crate is open, I go straight to get his leash and put it on.

Yeah, I’ve never gotten angry with him for peeing since I do think it’s pretty natural, though I do get a little frustrated that I have to clean it up. During the middle of the day when I take him out I am on a time crunch before I have to head back to work, and cleaning the pee takes a lot of time away from what we could have spent outside. Other than this excited peeing, and a few times he peed when he thought I was angry with him (though that has not been recently), he has never gone inside the apartment.