Dog Training World Forums Aggression Problems Fear Aggression Head off Potential problems Reply To: Head off Potential problems

• Dave Page

September 24, 2017 at 12:25 pm

I will have them over again soon to make sure there is nothing to be concerned about.

I try to watch my pups like a hawk to see if there is anything needing addressed so I don’t have to have another dog, or I, go through reversing processes like one several years ago (Only hard on him as he missed out on a lot of life, as for his safety, if we weren’t home, instead of enjoying the yard I put him up. Too many solicitors and proselytizers ignoring posted signs.).  I didn’t challenge, test or supply enough stressors/socialization when he was a pup, and at a year old if somebody moved too fast around us, got ahead of us… Thank goodness only drew blood twice, once because guy was trying to help me acclimatize him, and got too close too fast (bought that guy a pair of pants), another when I was helping neighbor get his cows off my place and didn’t see my dog head at him. I’m just glad he always listened.

He was dangerous people who didn’t know dogs for he would only bark a couple times to let me know some one was here, and then just stand on the porch silent, tail up wagging stiffly. No more barking or growling after those initial barks. When he attacked there was no sound.

Took about a 1-1 1/2 years of gradual acclimatization and obedience training to get him where he wouldn’t nail someone as long as they were acting normal, didn’t step on our porch without me there; was actually able to take him around a lot of people at a cookout, and only time he reacted was when one jumped beside us, but he just warned instead of biting. Sure do miss him.

Thank you.