• Sharon Blakeney-McDonald

May 26, 2017 at 1:20 am

Unfortunately this dog had no training and his prey drive was extreme. I often thought this dog would have been great on a cattle station if train in herding and was not the right type of dog for unexperienced dog owner as my brother was. Your dog charging at the Bichon may not necessarily have been prey drive though her first reaction was offence when she spotted him. I found with one of my dogs that was well trained I had to catch him before he when into drive otherwise once he was in drive I couldn’t stop the action from happening. Some dogs just don’t like other dogs but that’s ok as long as they learn to ignore them without attacking. Some people can be the same where they too don’t like people.

With your knowledge of working with dogs and if your planning to train phrase3 (remote collar) will give you better control for those emergencies situations when your dog is off leash. Teaching a “leave it” command to disengage I found to be very beneficial in those circumstances too.

All the best to you with your training of her… please do keep us posted with your progress.