Dog Training World Forums Behavior Problems Bad Manners Jumping on people Reply To: Jumping on people

• Sharon Blakeney-McDonald

September 29, 2016 at 3:20 am

Hi Sunghee,

I came across a piece of info that may help you with your choice of what collar to use in the video instructions under ‘Dog Behavior lesson and tips’. The first vid ‘Foundation Style Dog Training demo’ Mike speaks about the Pros & Cons of training collars.  The head halter may not be the best choice with an unruly dog, as neck injuries are a possibility with it. I’m doing the same as you where I’m helping my mum out as well with her pup who is very excitable and is jumping at people/dogs for attention.  The greeting I reset the exercise and only reward the right behaviour when she sitting calmly for pats/attention with people and move her away before she starts the wrong behavior. I also reset the wrong behaviour too by moving her away til she is calm and begins learning that she won’t get what she wants til she does what I want. Following what I learned in phrase1 I do this with food too  where she doesn’t get it til she gives me the behaviour I want… sitting calmly not jumping, nipping, etc.  The moving onto Phrase two is a good idea as this is where the dog learns escaping and avoidance of corrections that will help the owners further to teach the dog to remain in the commands when given.

I hope this is of some help to you.