• Michael D'Abruzzo

Administrator
    May 2, 2023 at 11:17 pm

Something else to consider in regards to detail searching, is that sometimes handlers are in large room areas and they have very specific items to search in the room.

For instance, when i was handling an explosive detection dog in Empire State Buiding I may have gotten a call to specifically check all the vending machines on a certain floor or just the garbage cans for various reasons.

Or just certain boxes that were delivered

So conserving the energy of a dog on a long shift becomes factor along with efficiency.

I made the mistake of debating on facebook with a trainer (why, why, why….) that had experience training detection dogs but never actually handled one and ended up wanting to bang my head against the wall trying to explain that detailing is not a bad thing and doesn’t mean that the dog cant find things themselves.

But sometimes we know things the dogs do not, such as we only need to search certain things and we know where the opening to the garbage is among other things.

Definitely a team effort. Especially when you need to officially and ethically “clear” something that needs to be searched.