Dog Training World Forums Behavior Problems Dog Anxiety Gun breaking a dog that had a bad start Reply To: Gun breaking a dog that had a bad start

• Allie Dellosa

March 22, 2023 at 2:25 pm

I think your read on Senna’s emotions was on point and your choice to switch tactics was just in time for some rapid fire!!!! I love that you chose your relationship over obedience. Senna knows his commands and that you can enforce them. He knows that you chose to give him a pass here because he needed it. He was not afraid to communicate a need, that is impressive from a dog that is so advanced in his obedience. You don’t have to rule with an iron fist to have a bad ass dog! The idea that you must follow through or the dog “wins” or “thinks you’re weak” comes from (in my opinion) a place of not having had a mutual relationship with a dog, and not giving them enough credit (or understanding) for how they view their leaders and /or core group. Senna said “dad I can’t sit….I gotta roll it out…..” (second displacement) you allowed it, immediately following you could see his focus improve and his body change.

The kong “stress ball squeeze” = genius. I was actually smiling watching this. Ego free training and nimbleness as a handler, Senna will be gun broke in no time. Extra credit for dressing for the range!