Dog Training World Forums Grooming My Knowledge of Dog Training Incorporated in my Dog Grooming. – A Story. Reply To: My Knowledge of Dog Training Incorporated in my Dog Grooming. – A Story.

• Michael D'Abruzzo

Administrator
    February 22, 2023 at 2:38 pm

Wow amazing how much dog training can intertwine with grooming. It is true, that if a groomer is going to be able to service as many dogs as possible that they need to “train” the difficult dogs how to be safe on the table for themselves and for the groomer. Especially while using sharp objects near their eyes, mouth, etc.. and there are multiple ways for every situation.

The same sort of discussions about LIMA and when appropriate to use what techniques and when, and what would be abusive behavior vs thoughtful “training” could be said about grooming.

When I worked as a vet tech, I inadvertently learned to use negative reinforcement to encourage dogs to remain “calmer” when on the table and they needed to have procedures done.

For instance, if a dog struggled, I would tighten my restraint but immediately loosen up my grip and talk sweetly and stroke them when they stopped struggling. It was always well timed and got them to calm down quicker vs just “always restraining tight” or “always loose grip and trying to talk sweet while they were struggling”.

Not the best example here, but I have the students relax a bit and talk very nicely to the struggling (and confused) dog once they are in position:

https://youtu.be/XBwI87LL_Sc

Now, on a less thoughtful spectrum, I have witnessed techs and even veterinarians outright shout at struggling dogs, wack them on the snout, and worse. Something that no reasonable person would think is appropriate and I am sure no owner would have agreed to.

This is another reason why I love how @marinadarling is video-recording the sessions and explaining to the owners. It really is considerate toward the owner and shows a lot of accountability and transparency, which is great for all involved business, dog, and owner for any plan for any individual case.