• Allie Dellosa

February 4, 2023 at 8:50 pm

I like to use p2 bed escape conditioning for teaching leash pumps to dogs and handlers that are undoing damage from prior or unpredictable handling. It helps having a visual aid, for both parties, and is a command with pretty obvious and easily attainable expectations. After wards we add phase 2 “this way” so it forces the handler to be accountable for a commutative command instead of just pumping and using the leash to “maneuver” the dog. These drills really help the handler become accountable for their proficiency and the dog learns that the handler is predictable and that they are the operator in operant conditioning. Of course, all of this preceded by leadership, leash ninja drills on inanimate objects (or other handlers), and plenty of phase 1. Here is an example of bed/this way with a dominance conflict case. Hunter is mid escape conditioning for both commands, but you can get the idea. The handler can also do much more to be helpful, showing the dog how to escape the correction as quickly as possible, pairing corrections with cookies and more prompting. Going from bed to bed has its benefits for limiting the amount of time there is not clear communication between handler and dog. If the dog gets chompy during this drill, I have my clients just start command structure: over name, command, name command, and prompt the dog into the desired behavior. Starting command structure over is like “clutch in, brake in”….. start over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3LZqZmI-dY