• Arthur Lopatin

February 4, 2023 at 12:23 pm

Whether your are already FSDT-certified, are on the certification path, or are a dog-owner serious enough to have joined DT.world, the more vid’s like Mike’s and Ivan’s, as well as books/articles, etc. that you study, the better will you be able to stay calm, cool, collected when you discuss this very important issue. I give the ‘e-collar rap’ whenever I can, wherever I can, be it chance encounters w/dog owners on the trail or talking to my (very few) clients/potential clients.

FWIW here’s my spiel:

I’m an FSDT guy. Here’s why: The Pyramid. The 3 Phases. How each phase works and why you should always go 1-2-3. ONLY THEN do I explain how/why Phase 3 usually uses e-collars. Bottom line, which I try to repeat a few times: Introduced properly and used correctly, e-stim is no more aversive than finger pumps. In fact, your dog will regard it as a long-distance finger pump. (I don’t spend much time explaining e-collar use re: housebreaking.)

It’s not a magic bullet that, presto-change-o, solves every issue. But if you know what you are doing and want to go off-leas where it’s legal and appropriate, FSDT Phase 3 e-collar training is the way to go. If you don’t believe me — especially if a demo-dog isn’t available — here are some vids. It slso helps to strap an e-collar on your neck and ‘shock’ yourself. 🙂

But some people are completely incorrigible. Words like ‘punishment’ and ‘e-collar’ trigger them so greatly that they just cannot think clearly. Beyond a certain point, it’s a waste of time trying to have a conversation with such people, because they’re ovewhelmed by cognitive dissonance and can’t think clearly. Sometimes ya gotta know when to hold ’em and when to fold ’em. Me, unless I manage to politely walk away from such people, I get seriously angry. Not practical, for lots of reasons.