Dog Training World Forums General Dog Training Discussion Health and Diet The Importance of Understanding Husbandry Reply To: The Importance of Understanding Husbandry

• Allie Dellosa

August 18, 2022 at 12:51 pm

This is sad, but I am confused how an animal control officer and wildlife rehabilitation expert wouldn’t know about this need.

I wonder what the standards for these credentials are.

I say this with some compassion as I took a ranch management, course at a local college, that specialized in AI and breeding livestock, including horses. They had a stud with a heart murmur and mares that were club footed. The foals reflected both deformities. The foals were broke by us students and then auctioned off at a facility that primarily uses the horses for food. I wrote a letter to the veterinarian teaching the AI course, they took a vote (based on ethical breeding) and decided it was worth it to continue the “educational” side of the program to breed sick animals that threw sick animals. I imagine this licensing program is not unique in its practices. So sad, that even the best intentions can be compromised with unethical educational protocols.