Dog Training World Forums Aggression Problems General Aggression Problem Discussion I slept with my beloved pit bull — until he tried to eat me alive Reply To: I slept with my beloved pit bull — until he tried to eat me alive

• Allie Dellosa

July 26, 2022 at 10:34 am

I think the addition of the puppy was the cause for conflict to manifest itself into discipline. The older male dog leads and has first right to affection, food, resting places etc. No conflict. And they probably didn’t see his attempts at controlling things prior, lots of people mistake splitting for “jealousy” etc. and don’t see interactions for what they are. She mentioned food aggression or resource guarding which can be synonymous with perceived conflict in the home, and can be exacerbated by how its handled.

Now there is a puppy and his world is changing, the puppy now is getting affection and is sharing resting places etc. Its like everything in the pitties environment says he is the leader but the family is not acting on it. Imagine being in charge of a household where everything is out of control.

The big boy was disciplining whoever it was that told the puppy to get off the couch, not because he owned the puppy, because he controls resting places and interactions between family members. Then directed his attention on her for intervening in a dispute that from his pov was none of her business. The voracity of the attack was probably genetic.