Dog Training World Forums Behavior Problems Bad Manners High Drive Puppy and manners (what to train first) Reply To: High Drive Puppy and manners (what to train first)

• Allie Dellosa

March 9, 2022 at 1:52 am

Hey Sharon!!!!! Congrats on the new puppy!

I agree with Dave in that high drive dogs relationship is everything. Training has little or no effect with out relationship unless the dog is interested in that very moment. Play is great, letting the win, a lot, sneak training in with premack as the reward. I would also consider a run instead of a kennel, with maybe a kiddie pool in it, or some other sensory development. Fishing for chicken or hot dogs in a kiddie pool teaches the dog how to hold their breath and utilize his nose under water (vomeronasal organ) which is the coolest thing EVER! Its super fun and a great bonding experience, productive play, like recall games, stepping over trotting poles, going through kitty tunnels etc, all create a mind and body connection for the dog, helping him practice decision making and coordination at the same time….which is very draining and can help him settle faster. I have videos of all of these games if you would like to see examples. They are super fun for us and our dogs. I’d make sure the pup has water when he is kenneled, and that he gets to cut loose when he gets out. 🙂

The article from the airdale guy mentioned not punishing disobedience, rather punishing unwanted behaviors. I would wholeheartedly disagree. Behaviors are often the results of emotional responses, drive, and lack of education (or being young), punishing them for these things does not teach the dog anything, rather it can cause a myriad of side effects including a negative effect on the dog handler bond. Punishing disobedience is is exactly in line with operant conditioning and ABA. Although we want to make sure we are sure the dog has gone through a solid phase 1 and escape conditioning.

He also refers to retroactive punishment, which can cause advocacy against the handler especially in stronger drive dogs. This is copied from the article “However, if you come home and find that your Airedale chewed a pair of your slippers because they were bored, you need to punish them. Make sure you’re being firm and strict, not angry, but you still need to let the dog know that that’s not okay. For me that’s always meant a stern voice and a smack on the nose (depending on how old the dog is); for you, it might be different.”

I would watch the habitation and management lectures for a FSDT approach on how to solve these types of issues, instead of utilizing hands on the dogs face.

https://dogtraining.world/knowledge-base/management-plans/

Management Plans 4.0