Dog Training World Forums General Dog Training Discussion Miscellaneous Possible: calmness amidst provocation? Reply To: Possible: calmness amidst provocation?

• Allie Dellosa

November 17, 2021 at 1:58 am

Storm barked at a woman acting erratic at the hardware store today, and the people around looked like Mike Myers was coming through the door. She was fine with the woman passing us closely (in heel) but then she came up behind us “wildly” she looked and smelled like she was on stimulants. I realized the other day that I stopped taking storm out in public so much, partly because after covid lock downs lifted places got busy again… but also because I don’t enjoy it. I often feel like bringing a dog out like her (in a muzzle and a dont pet me vest) draws attention that I hate dealing with. Although she does need some exposure, she is meant to be a personal protection dog, so I dont really want to take her out like she’s a pet. Its difficult to always navigate situations so that she can benefit….when people are unpredictable. Where I live people want to treat dogs like public entertainment and if you tell them otherwise they can get pretty nasty. This is like a “dog trainer’s therapy session” lol.