Dog Training World Forums Behavior Problems Dog Anxiety Anxiety Chat Room Reply To: Anxiety Chat Room

• Allie Dellosa

March 4, 2021 at 2:56 am
    1. Hey Oni! I would try a harness to safely secure her (a regular buckle harness) instead of a collar….Kong makes a sturdy one. I would also skip the bark collar or leave it command for now. She is a new at all of this so I would spend time trying to make the experience positive instead of focusing on the barking. Punishment for barking (ie bark collar) can make it significantly worse at this stage. Focus on the cause of the barking and pacing (nerves/fear) and address that first…maybe sit in the truck with her and give her treats and attention or take shorter drives that result in some relationship building. Meanwhile you can build a thorough leave it command…but remember if she is barking because she’s afraid or nervous, she can’t “leave it”….she can’t leave her feelings…but we CAN help her change her feelings if we take our time…also practicing leadership in the home will help set the stage for more productive relationship building outside the home…..Hope this helps.