Dog Training World Forums General Dog Training Discussion Miscellaneous Mobility Assistance Service Dogs and LGD’s Reply To: Mobility Assistance Service Dogs and LGD’s

• Elena Ventres Ventres

June 4, 2020 at 7:16 pm

Hi Sharon,

I breed Caucasian ovcharkas. I am working with one I kept to see if she could be a mobility assistance/service dog. She is definitely smart enough and willing. One of the things she has learned is “help”. I lay on the floor, say help and she will come over to me, brace, and let me climb up her. I have not taught her to support me as I walk but I am sure that would be possible. She also opens cupboards, closes doors, and will push a button (I used a push light ). There are emergency phones for dogs that call 911 with the push of a button.

Caucasians have good size, bone, and strength and live to be 10-12 years old. They are also very protective of their human. Some are more accepting of strangers than others. It would be important to get a dog from someone who breeds for and assess temperament in their puppies.

Early socialization with lots of people would be important if you want the dog to be accepting of strangers. I would also recommend the dog be exposed to rescue personal, ambulance, police, firefighters. In an emergency situation a Caucasian would more than likely protect the owner and not let anyone near if help is required. Being familiar with the uniform may help.

If you have any questions about Caucasians give me a shout. Good luck finding a dog to suit your needs.

Elena