• Arthur Lopatin

November 23, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Hi, Lara! Take a look at Phase 2 Dog Training Videos with Prong Style Collar version 2.0. The method used is slightly out-of-date, but the videos will give you a pretty good idea. I’d start on the Flexi-Come Video, w/Mike in the doggy suit. But before you start, please be sure that your dog has a solid Phase 1 Come. Theresa’s Phase 1 Video is very good. Start using a 6-foot leash. If your home is big enough, you could try some off-leash or long-line comes indoors. Please be very careful if you train out-doors. A large, enclosed space with a solid 6-foot fence is best, if at all possible. I don’t know what kind of dog you have, but lots of dogs, of all ages, can VERY QUICKLY dash away to chase something. You have to be very careful when you use either a flexi or (alternatively) a long line. (The Phase 2, Dog Training Videos w/Prong Style Collar has a video showing how to use a long line to train the Place. The information about how to handle a long line is equally relevant to using a long line for training Come. Bottom line re longlines is you need to practice safely reeling it in and out using hand-over-hand technique; otherwise you and/or your dog can get hurt. A big dog running w/you tangled in the long line is a good way to get injured. If you use a flexi, get a high quality one and practice w/it attached to a fixed object or another person, so it’s safe use is in your muscle memory. Some safety notes about flexis: If you have a big, powerful dog and your hands are small and/or not especially strong, it’s easy for the flexi to get ripped out of your hands if the dog takes off. If you use a prong or starmark collar, please be sure that your dog is accustomed to either one from prior training exercises (like Sit, Down, Place, etc), and very gradually increase the distance you ask your dog to Come from. Start at 6 feet or so and very gradually increase the distance you ask your dog to come from. It’s really important that your corrrection not freak your dog out. It should be no stronger for Come than what it’s been for other Phase 2 commands. ……. You don’t want your dog taking and then absorbing a really harsh jerk (which can be injurious) and/or you getting the leash or flexi ripped from your hands or causing a burn on your hands, By the way, both a long line and a flexi can cause really nasty burns/abrasions if you try to grab it as it’s running through your fingers. (Some people wear tight, strong, grippy gloves). I am currently writing up a training manual for clients (trying to get back into the training game after a hiatus). When I finish, I’d be happy to send you a copy. I also might have a Phase 2 Come Cheat Sheet. If I do, I’ll send it to you. Have fun training!