Dog Training World Forums Community Conduct Member's Create Our Code of Conduct Here Reply To: Member's Create Our Code of Conduct Here

• Sharon Blakeney-McDonald

April 13, 2021 at 1:47 pm

I’m not sure if I’m on the right track here but I’ve picked out the keywords to analyse the difference between IACP vs APDT. My concern with the IACP is there no enforcement for their code of conduct.

IACP Association – depends on the members and their services to make an impact upon the profession (determined by reputation/ability).

If members are to be best served by IACP then they need to comply with the code of conduct requirements.

Ending with the statement being: the Association shall not and cannot be responsible for individual acts of its member.

There are no clear definitions of which consequences will be taken if members don’t comply with the requirements of the code of conduct.

Rule 14. Cooperate with the IACP’s President, Board of Directors or Ethics Committee (should one be assigned) on any reported violations. Following a full investigation and adjudication of any violation, the Ethics Committee will be required to make recommendations to the Board of Directors on any action that may be taken. The final decision will rest with the Board.

How can you report a violation when one has not been assigned?

Should one be assigned the decision rests with the board. No mention of any notification for all members of the association to be aware that the violation had been dealt with.

If the association is relying on its member’s reputations/abilities then those members need to know they are being protected by the code of conduct being enforce from others not complying and abiding by the code of conduct.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

APTD was created to set forth guidelines for members. However, any members are subject to termination of membership.

APTD Association gives consequences to those who do not follow their guidelines of conduct.

They also put forth ethical principles with LIMA where the majority of dog training professionals philosophy would be in agreement, regardless of training methods and tools maximize the ability to uphold a Code of Ethics.