• Sharon Blakeney-McDonald

June 6, 2017 at 10:55 am

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”><span style=”font-family: Calibri;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>Hi Robyn… <span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”> </span></span><span style=”color: #000000;”>I can just image how frustrated you must have felt when Radar wouldn’t come when called. My suggestion I like to offer and what I have found to be very helpful is using the pyramid  of the Foundation Style Training </span></span><span style=”font-family: Calibri;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>https://www.dogtraining.world/start-self-help/  </span></span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”><span style=”font-family: Calibri;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>You may find that Radar running away is fun for him as well as he gets to have a game with you too. <span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”> </span></span><span style=”color: #000000;”>Radar being adolescent and also a mixed cattle dog is a breed bred to work and they are usually high energy dogs. Games in these circumstances are very useful and can work to your advantage</span></span> to ease any “restless spirit” of mental/physical simulation that Radar may have.</p>
    <p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”></p>

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”><span style=”font-family: Calibri;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>There are many games you can do such as fetch, tug of war, chasing a flirt pole, etc.<span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”>  </span></span><span style=”color: #000000;”>If you play with Radar then that can also be used as positive reinforcement for him obeying obedience commands. What I have done is follow Phase1 first for the behaviour I wanted my dogs to learn and then once they understood the command, I started introducing it into the games the dogs and I enjoy playing together.</span><span style=”color: #000000;”><span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”> </span></span><span style=”color: #000000;”>Games are really good for dogs to help release any pent-up energy, for helping with impulse control and to just plain having fun with those the dog loves to be with.</span></span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”><span style=”font-family: Calibri;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>In the meantime while you are training Radar in obedience, try to avoid him getting any opportunities to where he is able to defiant you. <span style=”mso-spacerun: yes;”> </span></span><span style=”color: #000000;”>I know sometimes dogs can easily escape us and as you mention Radar was the one who got loose. </span></span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>Training our dogs in obedience’s makes our life and their so much better and in the outside world can help us to keep them safe… I hope this is of some help to you.</span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”><span style=”color: #7030a0;”><span style=”font-family: Calibri;”> </span></span></p>