Dog Training World Forums Aggression Problems Fear Aggression A vet appointment that didn’t go well … Reply To: A vet appointment that didn’t go well …

• Allie Dellosa

February 10, 2022 at 7:07 pm

Great news about the drops, re: restraints, there are different holds for different applications. For example I would hold Storm is two different restraints for a draw from her jugular and a basic exam. Regardless, practicing restraining Lacey restrictively at home and praising her and giving her rewards can be helpful in general. Start with light/or normal pressure and increase to restrictive slowly…literally desensitizing her to it. Sharon U has some AMAZING videos of her dogs positioning themselves for blood draws etc. Its just based off of what you want. Like Judy said, I try to only do what is needed and I was able to do more when Storm was an adolescent. Now that she is older she has much stronger opinions about how people interact with her (including me) and I respect it, as long as it doesn’t interfere with leadership or management protocols.

<font face=”inherit”>I had to unlearn a lot too. I for sure still am….that’s why I post so many videos lol. One thing that I do now is put myself in the dog’s position. Remembering that human behavior was quantified utilizing animal (dogs and rats mostly) behavior. Thinking critically, not emotionally (as much as possible) I ask myself: “does this thought process, or expectation make sense if I am in the dog’s position?” obviously age, and temperament can add variables but for the most part it lines up and we can always always error on the side of advocating for what we think is best at the time and seeking help afterward (which </font>you<font face=”inherit”> did). Lacey is lucky to have you and you are doing a wonderful job. Molossoid mixes are really awesome dogs, as I am sure you know :)</font>