• zahed subhan subhan

April 15, 2018 at 11:22 am

Thanks Courtney

I think you hit the nail on the head on several counts.

I have noticed that Kimba is much more “compliant” after he is tuckered out, although one problem is that he has no ball drive and doesn’t seem to want to be bothered with tug or toys..so it is just long walks for now. I would put him into the category of an “American” GSD (ie certainly not a working dog) whereas we were used to a “German” GSD with strong drives. Roller blading might be a good idea!

Is it possible to cultivate more in the way of ball/toy drives. Fetch?

He is a big boy at 87lbs and for a 6 year old GSD needs a bit more exercise than we thought before we start short training episodes.

I am going to go back to phase I in a no-distraction environment, as you suggest.

He is also very skittish/nervous and was clearly abused (seemingly hit with objects from what we can discern – for example he cowers when I come near him with a leash..although that is getting much better) and so we have a lot to work through. He seems smart though, and is eager to please with thankfully NO signs of aggression towards other dogs or humans despite his apparent previous experiences.

Thanks for taking the time to offer such great advice.

Best

Zee