• Michael D'Abruzzo

Administrator
    January 25, 2023 at 11:45 am

This is a good subject for the Q&A.

I can probably pull some areas in the older coursework where I mention it, but I can see how it can be overlooked because I usually have the discussions after the dog formally learns all phase 3.

There is some mention at the 47:00 mark in this 4.0 video: https://dogtraining.world/knowledge-base/phase-3-mechanics/

There is also discussion in the forums if you search “escalating correction” specifically in the site search bar and click “forum replies” in the options.

Just to be clear, what I am explaining is not some sort of “set in stone” technique for the coursework, but I am sharing what I found to be most LIMA for practical situations.

Here is an example of a full unedited group class from back in the paladin days. The class consisted of clients that either learned completely from group class, transfer from other trainers, some that did in-kennel and learned to only handle, etc…

In those classes I made it a rule that any dog on leash needed to be corrected first on the leash before they could escalate to the collar, because in those situations, with dogs that were in phase 3 and not obviously having some impulse issue the VAST VAST amount of “disobedience” you see is honest mistakes and the collar pumps help just as much with positioning as it is a correction.

Basically, Steven Lindsay says that LIMA is a measure of competence for cynopraxis trainers, and there is no formula. With this subject which is past the teaching phases, relies on the trainer to make judgments on a case-by-case situation.

There are also practical reasons. The use of an escalating correction gives the clients the confidence to take their hand off the collar when their dog is onleash around distractions.

In my own practical experience with my own dogs, It is very very rare I needed to correct Orfeo out in public with an collar as long as he is on leash (has ecollar on too) because he knows it escalates. That includes bringing him to the vet, visits to my highschool classroom, etc..

It also doesn’t necessarily mean that the dogs need to get punished at any level more either, if the dog doesn’t have good reason to disobey and is still getting reinforced. But all of these things are factors depending on dog, handler, situation, what has become habit to the dog, etc..

Here is a typical class I am talking about. FYI, there is one client in the video that I needed to boot out for breaking that rule. She brought her dog to “sit means sit” first, and would constantly blast her dog in class when the dog, who was about easy as they come to train, was definitely just confused.

group class here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W01LImsFz54

Phase 3 Mechanics – 4.0